Sunday, September 30, 2018
Entry 2
For this blog entry I interviewed my neighbor Brian Hernandez. The questions I asked were based from readings we have done in the chapters. I addressed the importance of second language acquisition, adaptation, and revitalization. The author explains that language revitalization is an attempt to counter the factors and trends that lead to the decline in the learning and use of other languages (Ortega, 2009). I asked questions about Brian's opinions of childhood bilingualism from chapter two that spoke about bilingual acquisition (Gass & Selinker, 2008). His responses depicted an importance and value in his acquisition of a second language. He feels that knowing both Spanish and English has been beneficial to his upbringing in the way that he is able to communicate with a larger population, especially growing up and currently living in a diverse city he is able to be adaptable to different kinds of people. We also discussed the advantages and disadvantages that he believe come with integrating another language into children's cognition at an early age as discussed by Ortega in chapter two. (Ortega, 2009). Brian was fortunate enough to receive assistance in elementary school in order to make his integration to the English speaking community a smooth transition. He also feels that both Spanish and English extenuate his culture and foundational traditions since he grew up with both. When asking Brian about his views of acquiring a second language as a child, I found many differences and similarities in comparison to the authors beliefs. You will have the opportunity to hear about the topics we discussed in the following video post: https://youtu.be/GQfuYy6hvbs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Entry 4
It has been very interesting to discover the complexities of Second Language Acquisition. Through book discovery, I have b...
-
For this blog entry I interviewed my neighbor Brian Hernandez. The questions I asked were based from readings we have done in the chapters. ...
-
It has been very interesting to discover the complexities of Second Language Acquisition. Through book discovery, I have b...
-
For this blog post, I interviewed Mrs. Carolina Brown. She is a bilingual teacher who grew up in the town of Seguin, Texas. Mrs. Brown learn...
Hi Jennifer! I thought it was interesting that your neighbor felt that his ability to speak in his L1 was roughly equal to his ability to speak in his L2. Gass & Selinker (2008, p. 27) would consider him as a balanced bilingual and I’m glad that you mentioned this term in your interview. I also like how you asked him about his thoughts on how difficult he thought it would be to raise a child to be bilingual. I thought his response was interesting as it reminded me of the theory of there being a critical period that children have before puberty to learn a second language according to Ortega (2013, p. 13).
ReplyDeleteHi Krystal, thanks for your reply! Yes, fortunately he was exposed to his second language as a young child and therefore he is fully competent in both. It was also mentioned in the interview that he only speaks Spanish at home and English in his daily life outside of his home. Due to this, he is able to practice both languages fairly equally. It was actually mentioned by Ortega (2013, p.16) that depending on the circumstance, children in early childhood and adolescence have an easier time multiple learning languages early on.
ReplyDeleteHi Jennifer, I’m glad that your neighbor is able to appreciate his upbringing. I am also glad that my parents passed were able to instill that, even if it was a challenge at time but it has been very useful in my life as well. Ortega, discovered that the “rate and ultimate attainment a decade later and reiterated the same conclusions, arguing that the rate advantage for adults dissipates after a little more than a year, because children eventually always catch up and surpass late starters” (2013, pg.17). I’m sure this is why Brian was able to achieve his L2 so easily.
ReplyDeleteHi Cesia, thank you for your reply. It is awesome to hear that your parents also instilled the importance of a second language to you from childhood. Ortega states that languages are almost always learned with and for others, and these others generate linguistic evidence, rich or poor, abundant or scarce (Ortega, 2013 p.55.). This is especially seen in cities like Houston because kids are often exposed to such a diverse population.
ReplyDeleteHi!
DeleteI agree with Cesia that your neighbor Brian had a high regard to his upbringing. I personally wish my parents thought it through to teach me Spanish as a child so I could be confident within speaking Spanish. Brian explained it perfectly that growing up knowing both Spanish and English it helped him be one within his culture.
Hi Jennifer, I could say that Brian is very fortunate to have learned English and Spanish at a very young age. His parents installing that second language was very rewarding for him. I would consider Brian a balanced bilingual because Brian is fluent in reading and writing for both languages and communicated well. Gass & Selinker (2008, p. 27)
ReplyDelete